Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Confessions of a Treadmill Runner

I confess: I'm a treadmill runner. Love it or hate it, it's a necessary (and sometimes) evil in my running life. Do I always run on the treadmill? No. But these days, many of my runs are on the treadmill. 

I think most people get bored with the treadmill. I do many times, but today, I'll share with you a few of my thoughts on treadmill running.

1. Treadmill running makes me a faster runner. When I'm on the treadmill, I can make myself run at a sub-6 minute/mile pace. I may be too lazy to change the speed, but on the treadmill, I feel I can go faster longer than if I'm running a regular run outside. This helps in races.

2. Treadmill running makes me mentally stronger. I get bored easily. Very easily. Running on the treadmill makes me push through the boredom which really helps in longer races.

3. Treadmill running allows me to run more than I would if I didn't have a treadmill during most times of the year. I don't like to run when it's dark outside, I don't like to give up time with my husband and kids to run at night and I don't always feel like running with my phone, my watch and all the clothes I need (I stick to just shorts and a sports bra on my treadmill). 

4. Treadmill running allows me to multitask. If I haven't gotten a run in before work but have planned to run a certain day, I can make it home, throw something in the oven and get in a few miles by the time my husband and kids get home. I feel taken care of and I'm not sacrificing time with my family.

What are your treadmill confessions?

No comments:

Post a Comment